Geographic Location

Geographic Location of the Aborigines

They are located in Australia. The estimated aborigines population in Australia is around 400,000 aborigines. They are organized in 500-600 different groups. By the 1880s most groups joined white communities.

Back Ground Info

Back Ground Information on the Aborigines

The Aborigines migrated to Australia around 50,000 years ago. It is believed that the Aborigines are descendants of African or South East Asian peoples. After migrating, the Aborigines dispersed across Australia over thousands of years, forming hundreds of distinct groups, each with its own language and culture. Many Aborigine groups still exist today and continue their ancestors' traditions and customs. Because of this, they have been dubbed as one of the oldest living cultures in the world.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Modernized Aborigine

Like many indigenous groups, the Australian Aborigines cultural traditions and practices are slowly being melded with that of the modern world. This process of cultural assimilation is called Globalization. Globalization is the process of international integration that arises from the exchange of various cultural ideas, behaviors, products, and practices. The gradual adaptation of modern practices into Aborigine societies is evident in figures such as education, life expectancies, urbanism, and intermarriage rates.

The rate of Aborigines (18 years or older) that have attained a year 12 or a skilled vocational qualification has doubled since the 1990's. This trend is the result of more Aborigines attending basic schooling in Australia. Although more Aborigines are attending school than ever before, the Aborigines typically score lower on tests and graduate at lower rates than the non indigenous population. A trend similar to the education of Aborigines can be seen in life expectancy. The life expectancy of Aborigines has increased due to the acquisition of medicines and other medical treatment. However, the average life expectancy of an Aborigine is about 10 years less than the un-indigenous Australian. Aborigines are also more likely to abuse tobacco, alcohol, and other substances.

Many Aborigines have left their homelands completely and have moved to urban environments. In a 2006 survey, it was found that around 31% of Aborigines were living in major cities and another 45% were living close to or in developed areas. The remaining 24% of Aborigines live in remote areas and most likely adhere more strictly to traditional customs. The proportion of Aboriginal adults that are married to non-indigenous peoples has also increased from about 50% in 1991 to 70% in 2011.

There have been negative impacts of globalization on the Aborigine community as well. In 2009, the imprisonment rate for Aborigines was found to be 14 times higher than that of non indigenous people. Also, the line between right and wrong for traditional marriages in Aborigine communities has been blurred as a result of contact with 'modern' peoples. In the Jamilmira's case, a 50-year old man was accused of having intercourse with an under aged girl. The man argued that she was his promised wife and that it was within his rights as a husband to do so. The case ended with the man pleading guilty to minor charges.





References

Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 2014 Life Expectancy. http://www.aihw.gov.au/deaths/life-expectancy/ Accessed June 3, 2015.

Australian Bureau of Statistics, Education and Indigenous Wellbeing. http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4102.0Main+Features50Mar+2011 Accessed June 3, 2015.

Australian Bureau of Statistics, Imprisonment rates http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/CA5ACE72DF796D05CA257687001CDDA8?opendocument Accessed June 3, 2015.

Kimm, Joan 2004 A Fatal Conjunction, The Federation Press. https://books.google.com/books?id=c5CXSAoALn8C&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=jamilmira%27s+case&source=bl&ots=z-Bnd-ruhF&sig=aNhVbMX8OBQhVeJU1Fxq2ZuK_x0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_UdvVYeLG-WxsATP64DwBA&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=jamilmira's%20case&f=false Accessed June 3, 2015.

1 comment:

  1. I have always identified my self as a part of the 'modernized' world. I am an American student from a middle class nuclear family. I have never paid much attention to my cultural background or history. The only ancestors that I know anything about are the ones that I have physically met myself. Growing up, I did not have any influences to teach me that I should learn about my cultural heritage. The closest thing that I had to learned culture was the pledge of Allegiance in grade school; which reinforced nationalism. Also, I am not a part of an ethnic group that is considered to be a minority.

    My situation is very different than that of the Aborigines; many of whom have a strong cultural heritage and a deep connection to their ancestors. In fact, many Aborigine groups are living in the same manor that their ancestors did thousands of years ago. Practicing traditions that have been upheld for many years is completely foreign to me. My family has a diverse ancestral background (Various European ethnicities). As a result I know very little about my past ancestors and their cultural traditions.

    While I am culturally distinct from traditional aborigines , I do share some commonalities with Aborigines who have adopted modern cultural practices. This commonality being the shared experience of cultural change. The only culture I have ever known is a culture of rapid change and globalization. To the present from the time I was born, almost every aspect of American culture has changed in some way. For example ideas on clothing styles, entertainment, communication, sexuality, family, and many other aspects of American culture have all changed extensively in the last twenty years. Although the Aborigines situation and my situation are similar, there are some important differences. The Aborigines are coming from a culture of tradition that has seen little change over thousands of years. This makes it more difficult to adapt to a culture that is constantly changing and can often lead to cultural conflicts.

    ReplyDelete